Less than 1000 people decided the last election!
|electorate||winner||% win||number (win)||% lose||number (lose)||margin||voters to swing|
It could be your electorate that swings this time
Swing on climate - it makes your vote count more than ever
Some important words:
- Swing = voting for whatever politician will do what you want - regardless of how you voted in the past! Its most powerful to swing in a group.
- Electorate = the part of Australia where you live
- MP = member of parliament - your representative (you don't actually vote for the prime minister!)
- Seat = where your MP sits to represent you
- The only way most of us can have power as voters is to swing.
- Even considering swinging is more powerful than just voting the way you always have!
It really gets their attention.
- The safer you think your MP sits in your electorate the more important it is for you to plan to swing.
- In this section we'll show you why its so powerful and easy with Vote Earth Now.
Last election was SOOO close...
The most marginal electorates
- With 151 electorates (for 151 'seats' in parliament) you must win 76 seats to win government.
- Liberals and Nationals won by just 4 seats (!!) - to do so they had to join together.
- Which party they join with usually reflects the politician's 'preference' , that is, who they prefer to work with and give their votes to if they don't win.
....Because so many seats swung to be 'marginal'
How close it really is and how this helps us
- 7 Liberal seats require less than 3000 voters to swing
- 1 Independent seat requires 1400 voters to swing
- 16 ALP(Labor) seats require less than 3000 voters to swing
- the MPs sitting in these seats are feeling that their seat is pretty warm - it won't take much for them to jump up and say to their party leader "we need to DO SOMETHING or we will lose this seat!"
- for example, in Macquarie only 186 people need to change their vote!!!!
- 1 in every 4 electorates was marginal last time...
So ... You should vote for who will do what you want!
What politicians actually do
The real action of politicians is (like us) to vote.
They vote on Bills and Motions to make the laws which govern us.
Any member of parliament can submit Bills or Motions.
Who will do what you want?
The best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.
If you want action on climate change then the Climate Action Score is your best guide.
It’s never been a better time to be a swinging voter!
40% of Australians are no longer loyal to a particular party.
Us showing we will swing will empower those politicians who want to act on climate - they are waiting for us to do it!!
By pledging to swing with Vote Earth Now you empower politicians to act now.